A. Powers and Duties. The City Manager shall be the chief administrative and executive officer of the City and shall be responsible to the City Council. The City Manager is appointed by and serves at the will of the City Council. The City Manager shall be appointed solely on the basis of the City Manager's administrative ability, experience, and training. The City Manager shall administer the business of the City, and the City Council shall ensure that such administration is efficient. The City Council may by ordinance delegate to the City Manager any additional powers or duties it considers proper for the efficient administration of City affairs. Responsibilities of the City Manager shall include the following:
1. Except as otherwise provided in this Charter, the City Manager shall be responsible for, and have the power to appoint, suspend, layoff, demote and/or remove all or any one of the directors or heads of administrative departments. No director or head of any administrative department, however, shall be appointed or removed without prior notice and consultation of the City Council.
2. Supervise and control directly or indirectly all administrative departments, agencies, officers, and employees, except those exempted by this Charter. Set up job classifications and job descriptions within each department with salaries and wages commensurate with the employee's ability and qualifications.
3. Attend all City Council meetings acting in a consulting capacity to take part in the discussion but have no vote.
4. Prepare and submit an annual budget and be responsible for its administration after it is adopted.
5. Submit to the City Council a report at the end of the fiscal year on the finances and administrative activities of the City for the preceding year.
6. Keep the City Council advised of the financial condition and the future needs of the City and make such recommendations to the City Council on matters of policy and other matters as may seem desirable.
7. Combine, abolish, or create administrative departments subject to the approval of the City Council.
8. Have such other powers and perform such other duties as prescribed by this Charter and the City Council, in accordance with State law.
9. Enforcement of all State laws and City ordinances.
B. Appointment and Qualifications. The City Council shall employ a City Manager by affirmative vote of at least four (4) Council Members. The City Council shall by majority vote determine the City Manager's compensation. The City Manager shall be chosen upon the basis of executive and administrative training, experience, character, and abilities, without regard to political considerations. Neither the Mayor nor any Council Member may be appointed City Manager while holding office or for a period of two (2) years after his or her term has ended.
C. Removal of the City Manager. The City Council may suspend or remove the City Manager at any time by an affirmative vote of at least four (4) Council Members. The City Council shall give the City Manager written notice for removal and/or suspension and give the Manager an opportunity to respond and present a defense against any accusations made. The City Council's decision in such matters shall be final.
D. In the absence or disability of the City Manager, the Mayor or other City Council-appointed designee will perform the duties of the office with the approval of the City Council.
The City Manager shall propose annually a five (5) year capital program for consideration by the City Council on or before ninety (90) days prior to submission of the budget.
Capital Program Contents. The capital program shall contain the following:
1. A summary of proposed programs;
2. A list of all capital facilities and property improvements which are proposed to be undertaken during the five (5) fiscal years next ensuing, with appropriate supporting information as to the necessity for such improvements;
3. Cost estimates, method of financing, and recommended time schedules for each such improvement with the estimated effect on the tax levy and;
4. The estimated annual cost of operating and maintaining the facilities to be constructed or acquired over the five (5) year period.