Alternative Options


If you are unable to pay the fine and costs or have insufficient resources or undue hardship you may request a hearing to determine your need that would be appropriate under the law. After imposing the sentence in open court, the judge is required to inquire into whether the defendant has sufficient resources to immediately pay all or part of the fine and costs. Art. 45.041 (a-1), C.C.P.

You will need to complete a financial statement and provide documentation at your scheduled hearing date. You will need to contact the court in writing to request a hearing date.

Examples of alternatives:

  • installment payments
  • community service 
  • tutoring
  • reduced payments